This is one of the most unstable explosives there are right now (under STP). When completely dry it will detonate from sudden light exposure, a drop or rise in temperature, or even a light breeze. It has no practical uses whatsoever and is, for the most part, useless. It is a good lab demonstration or good for pulling pranks on your friends though. It does leave big iodine stains wherever it detonates though, and also releases a cloud of iodine vapor. It is made by iodine sitting in a large excess of ammonia solution.
6I2(s) + 2NH3(aq) ----> 2NI3(s) + 6HI(aq)
HI(aq) + NH3(aq) ----> NH4I (aq)
|Iodine crystals||100-250ml beaker|
|Any concentration ammonia solution||funnel and filter paper|
Into a 100-250ml beaker, place 2 grams of crushed up iodine crystals. Pour over this 50-80mls of ammonia solution. Leave this mixture sit for 4 to 5 hours then filter out the crystals. Run a little more ammonia water in the beaker and filter it out to get the remaining crystals. Place the crystals where you want them to be while they are still wet, then don't touch them. It will take around 30 minutes to become sensitive, 1 hour to completely dry. After a certain ammount of time they will just explode on their own, so never store this nor transport it even if its wet.